Swan & Maclaren is generally accepted as one of the oldest architectural firms in Singapore. Started as Swan and Lermit in 1887, the company was established as Swan & Maclaren in 1892, when James Maclaren joined as partner after Mr Lermit’s withdrawal.
In these early years, Swan & Maclaren rose as a prominent architectural practice responsible for many of the outstanding architectural commissions of Singapore. Several world-renowned buildings designed during the early period have now been gazetted as National Monuments; Raffles Hotel, Goodwood Park Hotel, St Andrew’s Cathedral, Victorial Memorial Hall and the War Memorial, to name a few.
Today, Swan & Maclaren continues to grow and evolve by embracing the changing platform of globalization. After the award winning design of the National Library Singapore in 1998 (in collaboration with Kenneth Yeang), Swan & Maclaren continues to move from strength to strength with an increasingly international regional project base.